Saturday, March 19, 2011

No Airplanes for 6+ Months!

My nurse said it at chemo school, with not even a flinch, "No planes for at least 6 months." Gasp... Even my parents' eyes widened in concern. Not that I have any desire to travel this summer, as I know I won't feel up to it, but the thought of a plane being forbidden.... now that my brain couldn't grasp. This will be my first summer in 37 years that I will not board an airplane for somewhere! Crazy, huh.

The ironic part, as soon as I left chemo school, I went home and packed for my New Orleans trip! And what a trip it was! I had a great time hanging with good friends, eating amazing food, and walking all over the city. We also managed to get our presentation done in the meantime (the whole reason we were flown there in the first place:) Pearson Publishing Company flew my friend Sara and me out to this national ELL conference to present about how we integrate technology into our lessons. Our district ELL coordinator was also there and we ended up having over 100 people in our session, including some bigwig writers and publishers. We got quite the reception after our presentation and were quickly invited to lunch by two of the publishers!  They took us to a fancy cafe where we ordered grilled shrimp and red spiced grits and talked "business".


It all started with a simple question, "Do you like New York?" These guys wanted to fly us to New York, put us up, and talk to us about helping them improve their textbooks. Then they wanted to fly us to Colorado so that we could consult with some other teachers... FLY US.... hmmm, FLY US... Suddenly, in my mind I heard again, "No planes for 6 months...." I let them know I couldn't fly this summer and my hopes were dashed. Until I heard this, "Okay, we like Kansas City. We'll come to you." And we're back....

No, I'm not quitting my day job, and no this isn't full time work or anything. It's just going to be a summer gig, where we'll get some extra cash and maybe some resume points for being published. Whatever it is, or whatever it might turn out to be, it was flattering to get so much attention. Plus, it will give me something to do this summer as I'm going through chemo. Too bad about New York though... Maybe we'll get to go in the future, if they like what we come up with!

Anyhow, I believe with all of my heart, when one door closes another one opens. I knew cancer would keep me homebound for a while, again the first time I have been homebound in my life. But, who knew an amazing opportunity would be just around the corner. I guess that's why I try not to get too upset when doors close around me!



No comments:

Post a Comment