Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quick Update

I just wanted to give a quick update after my doctors appointment. Good news- my liver is clear! The doctor said it was a cyst, absolutely not cancer. The bad news, my blood work was off again today. They made me draw blood twice because it didn't look right. I had a really low hemoglobin count, so the doctors had me sit in the waiting area until they figured out what to do after the second test came back the same as the first. I guess they didn't find out what to do because eventually they just sent me home! :)  My immediate future could contain more blood tests!

My tumor also came back 7% HER2, which means they will treat me for HER2 along with my original treatment plan. For those of you REALLY interested I was told I'd have the ACT treatments (three chemos, or a chemo cocktail), plus a full year of shots for the HER2 part, plus 5 years of meds after. I warn you not to google the side effects of ACT, as the "red devil" does not sound appealing. But, my nurse told me, "My people don't get sick! Just listen to me, take all the medicine I give you (6 other prescriptions of pills along with everything else) and you'll be just fine." I believe her, and I WILL listen harder than I have ever listened before. With her on my side, I feel good.

My first treatment of ACT will begin on March 31st. It will be at least 20 weeks long. My first 4 treatments are every two weeks. After that, I will have Taxol every week for 12 weeks. I should be finishing right as school is starting, so I have my summer plans already set in stone! What about you?

3 comments:

  1. You'll get through it. You are the TOUGHEST woman I know! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I am so glad the waiting, except for your silly lab work, is over, a plan is in place, and life is on its merry way! Those nurses are amazing resources, make friends :-) Can't wait for the summer: class and maybe some training! Prayers and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, so glad to hear that the liver is all clear! So now all we have to do is get you pumped full of good, clean organic power fruits and veggies, filtered water, and a whole lot of mindful thinking. Have you thought about maybe getting some CDs on meditative healing? I think that healing the brain with positive thought is one of the important steps to your overall healing.

    Hope this all doesn't sound too hippie-dippy (because I do want you to follow the nurses advice about your meds to a 't') but I def would love to offer any help or advice to find some awesome holistic healing power!

    But overall, glad to hear that things are progressing well, and your spirit is up!

    ReplyDelete